Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Should Be Working...

Well...Technically it's still lunch time...I used to think that lunch was from 12-1...but sometime in the last 2 years or so...it was decided lunch was until 1:30...I think we get the Doctor's Office lunch time by association...which is fine with me...I'm not complaining...



I work for a Medical Billing company...I've been here for a little over 6 years...I actually love my job...I started out not knowing a thing about Medical Billing...I was an Assistant Manager at Sonic before I got my job here...I really enjoyed that job too...I really liked the people I worked with...well, for the most part...I started out as a Carhop and working the Fountain inside...When I was promoted to Assistant Manager, I also started making the work  schedule for my boss...Upside for this was an extra $100 a month and I still scheduled myself at least a day to carhop to make some extra cash...The scandal here was that I was still being paid my Assistant Manager hourly rate...plus tips...No one caught on...Or said anything about it anyway...There did come a time that I was sick of going home smelling like french fries...and I wanted a normal job...with normal hours...My friends mom said she would see if she could do anything...First she was trying to get me on at one of the Doctor's Offices...That never worked out...So she got me an interview with her Supervisor to interview to work Collections...And the rest is History...


I did not like doing Collections...I remember one of the first calls I made...I identified myself...notified her of her outstanding balance...and requested we make payment arrangements to clear the balance...This lady broke into tears and explained to me that she just buried her mother...Yep...So I felt like complete dog shit...I couldn't get off the phone fast enough...She promised once things 'settled down' she would send a payment in...That was 6 years ago...Apparently things haven't 'settled down' yet.....

After a few months working collections...The receptionist took another job...so, I was moved to that position...Fine with me!!...I did end up convincing my boss that we shouldn't keep collections in-house...She passed that information to the powers that be...and it was decided we would use an outside Collection Agency...I still worked the delinquent accounts...sending letters that accounts were over-due...but I haven't made a Collection call since :)

My position and responsibilities have changed a lot through the years...It's crazy to think that when I started working here...I was 23...Living alone in my cute little one-bedroom apartment...Only responsible for myself and my cat, Jewels...My, have things changed in 6 years....

No comments:

Post a Comment