Sunday, April 24, 2011

I Miss My Family....

I moved from New Orleans, Louisiana to Lake Charles, Lousiana almost 12 years ago...I was 17...ready for my independence...Ready to establish a life as Katie...not as Brian's (Kentucky's <---My brother's nickname) little sisiter or Sarah's big sister...I wanted to be Katie....I was moving roughly 230 miles away from the only home I have real memories 0f...but instead of being scared, I was so excited...So excited to start my life on my own...As a mother now, I can't imagine the emotion my parents felt leaving me that day...I'm sure one day, I'll understand it when Brodie decides he's ready to start his own life as well...(PS...I don't look forward to that day)....I do have to say that I am very greatful for my parents trusting me enough to let me go, because it was not only the biggest decision I'd made up to that point, but the best one I'd made...




One of the reasons I chose the school I did was because I felt like it was the perfect distance from home....Close enough that if I ever needed/wanted to be home, it was doable...Second, it was far enough away that my parents couldn't just pop in...My parents were great...I didn't get guilt trips about not coming home often enough...I think they were happy for me that I had established my own life here...There were times though that I wanted nothing more than to be home....To be with my parents and my brother and sister...well, and to do laundry for free...lol





During the college phase of my life, my parents didn't visit me....I visited them...I had no problem with that...of course...lol...But, I do have to admit...After I had Brodie, I really thought my parents would put more of an effort to make trips here to visit so that we wouldn't be the only ones traveling...with a baby no less...Since I was pregnant, my parents have been here 4 times....I can't even tell you the amount of times we've made the trip to New Orleans...and I only say this so you can understand the point of view of my husband...He's bitter that they don't make more of an effort...among other things...but I'm not getting into all that....but, the result of this has been that our trips to New Orleans have come to a screeching halt...My husband and I have made trips to New Orleans for cruises, but the last time we brought Brodie was in August...




This really makes me sad...and jealous if I'm being honest...My brother has a 4 year old son and my sister has a 22 month old son and a 9 month old daughter....My brother and sister still live with my parents...So, anytime my brother has my nephew, my parents get to spend time with him too...and my sister and her kids are there on a daily basis...The jealousy comes because they have these in depth relationships with my nephews and neice, and to be honest, they don't really know Brodie...And I'm not being dramatic...my dad has actually apologized because they don't 'know' Brodie like they know the other kids...






Aside from the whole grandchildren thing...there are just times in my life, and this has happened since I was 17 and moved away from home, that I just want to be with my family...even if there's nothing exciting going on...I just want to be around them....talk with my mom and dad...In person conversation is always better...I'm not really a phone person....hang out with my brother and sister and hear about what's going on in their lives....Now that there are children involved, it adds a whole new layer, because I want to see my neice and nephews and get to know them....So, that's where I'm at today...well, I've actually been here for a couple weeks now to be honest...I just miss them...and days like yesterday make me miss them even more....






We had an incredible day yesterday...My husband's aunt invited all of the family over for a crawfish boil...She has an inground swimming pool...a lot of grass to run around in...toys for the kids....it was really a lot of fun...exausting for me because Brodie around a swimming pool scares the hell out of me, because he doesn't understand if he falls in he could drown...But we swam most of the day and he got to ride bikes and play and run...My husband has a great extended family on both sides...they are all so gracious and nice...I really enjoy getting together with them whenever we do...it just makes me wish for those kind of days with my own family....If that makes any sense....





I hope everyone is having an amazing weekend!

3 comments:

  1. i think family is everything. my sister lives in a different city than me/my mom (my mom lives with me) and although she's about 1hr away, it's still hard to see each other with the kids and all. still, we try and it's always nice to see her every other weekend or whenever we can get together.

    my hub's parents live much closer; he has a brother who has 3 kids and my in-laws LIVE for sunday dinners. it's amazing though. who would have thought that hearing 4 kids running and screaming for the entire afternoon, before and after dinner is music to our ears.

    i hope you see your family soon; glad you had a good wknd with your inlaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband goes through those phases. They're in Memphis, we're outside of Houston. It's a long drive, and one that I'm not particularly fond of making with four kids. And, to be honest I'm perfectly content to have my in-laws a full day's drive away from me.

    With my family being so close, I still feel like it's too far sometimes. Three hours to Fort Worth feels like a lifetime when I need my mama. Here's hoping that we all get some family time soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kathy, Thank you!...I'm very lucky I have great inlaws...lol...I know some people who aren't so lucky...lol

    @Gini, That's what we are, about 3 1/2 hours from my family...When I was just me, no husband and no Brodie, it was nothing to hop in the car and make the trip whenever I needed to...Hope we get to see our Mamas soon!

    ReplyDelete