Friday, April 1, 2011

It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.


I think I can smell them through the picture.....mmmmmm.....For any of you who are looking at that saying, "What in the hell is that?!?" they are crawfish...Some people call them mudbugs, crayfish, crawdads, etc...But, if you are from Southern Louisiana, they're crawfish...or like I like to call them....Dinner!  I'm not sure when I began to LOVE crawfish, because I have memories as a kid loving them...My dad's company used to host 2 crawfish boils a year...One around Mardi Gras...I remember it was that time of year because they always had king cake too (which I also love)...The other crawfish boil was usually end of April, beginning of May...I can remember it was that time because that crawfish boil was outside...and the place where they had it had a swimming pool...I know it wasn't more into the summer because crawfish season ends in June...Because there is a period of time throughout the year that I can't even get boiled crawfish, it makes me want them even more! 

Before I got married and moved to Vinton, I lived in Lake Charles...I tried crawfish at several different restaurants and thought I had found the BEST crawfish...I'm originally from New Orleans...and I'm sure that everyone would assume I would have had the best there...In my opinion, a lot of the crawfish in New Orleans is too spicy...but, I am a weenie when it comes to spice...Anyway....It wasn't until I met my husband and tried the crawfish at a small-town restaurant that I really found the BEST crawfish...Before we were married, we lived in sin....I moved in with him...to a very small town...(well, small to me)...we have 2 red lights...One of my favorite memories of that time was almost every Friday night during crawfish season, we would go to the restaurant (which by the way is connected to a gas station...that should prove my small town claim)...It was always a fun night...during my first crawfish season there...there was a guy that would play guitar and sing on those Friday nights...It was a lot of fun...

Since then, it's been sort of a tradition to have crawfish on Friday night during crawfish season...I don't think my husband loves this as much as I do...I could eat crawfish everyday...Some Fridays, he doesn't even get any!...We don't get to go sit and eat it at the restaurant anymore...not since Brodie came along...(dirty crawfish hands + baby = extreme anxiety for my husband...He's nervous about EVERYTHING...but that's a whole other blog...)  He does bring it home for me though :)


I hope tonight isn't like my Friday night two weeks ago....Obviously I look forward to my crawfish nights...I was all excited to eat my crawfish that night...Been thinking about it alllllll day long....Instead of going straight home to get Brodie fed and ready for bed, we stopped at my neighbors house to chit chat...Brodie and I didn't home until almost 7pm...He's usually in bed by 7:30pm...My husband doesn't usually go to get it until Brodie has gone to bed (Remember the nervousness?)...He was in and out of the house that evening...I don't remember exactly what he was doing, but when he finally went to pick up my crawfish...they were sold out....





And I pouted like a spoiled brat...Hey, before you judge, everyone else in my household gets to act unfavorably at times...Why can't I?...My husband felt so bad...He offered to get me something else...to which I replied...Nevermind, I don't want anything...Luckily we were on the phone, because I would have been embarrassed if he had seen my pouty face and crossed arms....

Let's hope there's not a sequel to this show...

No comments:

Post a Comment